The phenomenon with taking a “Gap Year” experience is growing with every year that passes, thousands of people are taking a year out of studying and work to go travel, experience new cultures and enjoy life before they jump back on the daily grind of life.
If you’ve been thinking about taking some time out to go on a crazy adventure then you might want to take a look at some ideas that will hopefully inspire you to get out there in the big wide world and create some awesome stories.
1. If you are an animal enthusiast, there’s no better way to get involved than to find an ethical programme and volunteer with a lion conservation in Africa.
2. Head to France on part of an Au Pair Project and help a local family. After you’ve finished, you have a vast choice of spots to visit (Paris, Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame & your childhood favourite, Disneyland).
3. Get yourself down under and backpacking around Australia. Help with vegetable picking at a local farm when the funds get low, you’ll have great fun, an awesome tan and the extra cash to extend your travels.
4. Gain your TEFL certificate and or take part in an internship abroad in Asia. It looks great on your CV as well.
5. Find a Elephant conservation in Thailand and spend the day helping bath and feedin the giant mammals.
6. Give yourself a time limit and see how many countries you can travel to in Europe within that.
7. Head to Thailand Or Nepal and teach English to Buddhist Monks.
8. Travel to South Africa and help save Sea Turtles on a conservation project.
9. Hang out with lemurs in the Fort Dauphin area in Madagascar.
10. Get yourself booked onto a safari weekend across Africa to see the Big 5. Feeling adventurous? Ditch the vehicle and do it on Horseback.
11. Live like a local in Italy on a language exchange programme whilst learning Italian and teaching English.
12. Travel around Asia and offer to teach English in the schools on your journey.
13. Head to South Africa to see Dolphins and Whales whilst helping on a coastal conservation programme.
14. Be daring and conquer your fear of heights by skydiving, paragliding, Bunjee Jumping and parachuting.
15. Volunteer with a Crocodile conservation in India.
16. Gain your open water certificate and go Scuba Diving in the Great Barrier Reef.
17. Become a qualified ranger guide at a nature park in Africa and see the Big 5.
18. Look after orphaned children in Nepal.
19. Volunteer in Fiji and help teach children English and teach sports.
20. Scared of Water? Get yourself White-Water Rafting over the River Nile in Uganda.